Many of us spend a lot of our waking hours in front of digital devices, such as computer screens, smartphones and tablets. In fact, studies show that 90% of people aged 20-65 use digital devices everyday, with 60% of adults spending an average of 5 or more hours per day in front of a screen. Six out ten adults report a feeling of eyestrain due to use of these devices.
Digital devices seem to cause eyestrain for a couple of reasons:
- They have smaller and more pixelated characters than are typically viewed on printed material
- A close working distance with smartphones (Usually about 30cm, compared with ~40cm for reading print)
- Increased output of blue light from screens, which is fatiguing and possibly harmful
Eyezen lenses are are a new range of anti-fatigue lenses from leading ophthalmic lens company Essilor. EyeZen lenses have some clever features designed to help combat these issues:
- Custom-surfaced technology provides extra-clear vision
- A "boost" of power toward the bottom of the lens aids near focus
- All EyeZen lenses include Essilor's Crizal Prevencia coating, which blocks both UV rays and blue light
- In common with all Crizal lenses from Cassidy Eyecare, EyeZen lenses include a one year warranty against scratching
We have been wearing EyeZen lenses ourselves for the past month, and have found them fantastic for general use. The other great thing is that even though every lens is custom-surfaced, the pricing on EyeZen lenses is comparable to an equivalent stock lens. EyeZen lenses start from $276 per pair.